[Sca-cooks] hot sauce

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 7 14:13:54 PDT 2001

Jane Sitton wrote:

> RE:  hot sauce
>
> The kind my husband makes with his home-grown peppers is too hot for our
> Hispanic neighbors across the street.  But then Logan is famous for his
> "Biohazard" liqueur as well....
>
> So, what do YOU put in hot sauce?

What I normally do is take destemmed Scotch bonnets (which are not
exactly the same thing as habaneros, BTW), quarter them, and sprinkle
them with a tablespoon or two of salt in a deep mixing bowl, which can
be loosely covered with a plate or something, allowing them to sour
slightly for a day or two as with sauerkraut, kim chee, etc.

This mixture is them pureed with enough sherry vinegar to thin it down
to a sprinkle-able consistency. I've used it immediately, and also have
a quart or so sitting in a sealed jar with some brewer's oak chips,
currently a year old. I haven't opened or tried it yet.

Another favorite of mine is simply to get cans of chipotles in adobo and
puree them with their sauce. This is good as is, and also mixed with
either ketchup or mayo. How a product made from jalapenos is able to be
hotter than an equal mass of jalapenos, though, is beyond me. I've used
the chipotle puree quite successfully in making beef jerky, too.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com