[Sca-cooks] hot sauce

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 20:03:44 PDT 2001

On 7 Jun 01,, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > What, no onions, garlic, lime juice, tad of cilantro, shot of tequila, and
> > purple Thai peppers?  The horrors!!
> >
> > Madelina
>
> That, of course, depends on whether you want chili sauce or a sauce
> containing chilis. Of course, it should be noted that since we were
> talking about hot sauce, most of the above would merely dilute the heat,
> which may or may not be something that you want.
>
> Adamantius (who also detests hot sauces containing processed capsaicin)

Some 16th century Spanish writers observed that the natives of
New Spain mixed their chile peppers with tomato, and made a
sauce that they used with many kinds of foods.  The Spaniards
also ate this sauce.  So if someone wanted to serve a period feast
of New World foods, they could include a tomato salsa.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net