[Sca-cooks] black puddings

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jun 9 00:03:08 PDT 2001

Elysant said:
> In a message dated 6/7/01 11:54:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
> writes:
> << Is this how it was done in period? Do we have evidence for this? Or
>  was it simply boiled?
>   >>

> I do not have any evidence to hand regarding period cooking of Black Pudding,
> but have to say that boiling Black Pudding (which is basically like a large
> sausage link) sounds quite icky to me.
>
> I wonder if you are looking at the word pudding and thinking of the puddings
> like Treacle Pudding or Christmas Pudding?  That type of pudding would be
> boiled/steamed etc.
>
> It seems the word "Pudding" can denote either type of dish (as well as the
> creamy type puddings such as Tapioca or Rice Puddings).

In part I may have been thinking of those types of puddings. But then
haggis is boiled, right? And that is a lot closer to this sausage
type pudding that you describe than it is to the sweet puddings.

Hey, before I joined this list my main exposure to pudding was the
instant kind that you add the powder to the milk and stir it together
and chill.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net