[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 10 10:24:15 PDT 2001

Ok, here are some I can help on.  The song lyrics below are probably
post-period, and I don't have a source for them handy, but I can check in
Child and see if I can turn them up.
Christianna

> Candlemas
FEB 2
Candlemas - 40 days after giving birth to Jesus, Mary took him to the Temple
in Jerusalem to present him to God. Celebrated with blessing candles and a
candlelit procession. Candles are blessed and placed on altars.
-"366 Days of Celebrations" - Christine Seelye-King

> Civet
Civet 1532.  the Arab. name Zabad, Zubad.  See also Zibet.  1. A genus of
carnivorous quadrupeds, yielding the secretion called by the same name.
Spec., the central African species, Viverra civetta; called also Civet Cat.
The allied Asiatic species V. Zibetha is often called Zibet.  The Javanese
species is the Rasse.  1532.  2. A yellowish or brownish unctuous substance,
having a strong musky smell, obtained from glands in the anal pouch of the
Civet.  It is used in perfumery, 1553.  OED

	?

> fusty
	Fust, 1481.  1. A wine-cask, 1601.  2. A strong, musty smell, 1755.
	3. To become mouldy or stale-smelling; Of wine: To taste of the cask. 1592.
OED

	"Away, away, away, away, you coal-black smith.
	You have done me no wrong,
	You never shall have me maidenhead that I have kept so long!
	I'd rather die a maid - O, but then she said - I'll be buried all in me
grave,
	Than to have such a fusty, musty, lusty, dusty, coal black smith!
	A maiden I shall die!"
					- The Two Magicians/Coal Black Smith