[Sca-cooks] online glossary

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Sun Jun 10 17:01:59 PDT 2001

<< 'BLUE = a cooking method involving poaching an unscaled fish ...'
As far as I know, this is a comparatively modern concept, and may not
actually belong in this glossary ... the method appears in both French
and German cuisines >>

I will leave BLUE to the English native speakers, but German _blau_ and
its several spelling variants are used several times in 16th century
German cookbooks with respect to the preparation of fishes: Staindl
1569, Sabina Welser 1553, Mayr 1579, Wecker 1598, Rumpolt 1581, a 1581
codex.

A quick look into French texts yields at least results from La Varenne
(Brochet au bleu; Carpe au bleu) and Lancelot de Casteau 1604 ("... tous
les poissons qui doiuent estre bouillis bleus, se cuisent auec de l'eau
& veriu, & sel ou vinaigre"; p. 22).

I hope to find the time to send the full texts later. And I am quite
sure there is more.

Thomas II