[Sca-cooks] Poudre Douce/Poudre Forte

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 11 22:17:01 PDT 2001

Aethelwulf asked:
>                    As a realitive newcomer to Medieval cooking
>     I need ask what is probably a realitively simple pair of questons.
>        What was/is Poudre forte? and What was/is Poudre Douce ?
>     Gatherd from my reading thus far they are combonations of spices
>    used in various dishes,yet I am unable(or just plain missing)
>    what each of them contained.I trust in your far greater knowledge
>     in guiding me on this.

You might find this file of interest. This file contains a bit of the
past conversations we've had here on various spice mixtures. The
added to this file. In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
spice-mixes-msg   (22K)  7/20/00    Period spice mixtures. Poudre Forte,
Douce.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-mixes-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net