[Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 12 07:01:07 PDT 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> It was my understanding that "souvlaki" was the Greek equivalent term to
> "brochette"; essentially, anything cooked on a skewer. Where I live,
> souvlaki sems to be more or less synonymous with shish kebab, while gyro
> is either shwarma in the better establishments or grilled meat loaf in
> the lesser ones.

That may be, but the Greek restaurants here (of which there are 'way too few) call
souvlaki a sliced lamb or beef that's served either with or without a roll, but
with a yoghurt sauce.

> Okay, on an off-but-at-least-moderately-food-related-note, can people
> name (for them) "the" sandwich? The One, True sandwich from which
> deviation is considered heresy?

I would include the Reuben (pastrami, saurkraut, mozzarella, thousand island
dressing on rye, toasted), and the Monte Cristo (ham, cheese on rye dipped in an
egg batter and deep-fried...cholesterol city).

Kiri