[Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 13 03:45:58 PDT 2001

"Craig Jones." wrote:

> >I went to a "white trash party" and discovered - heck, i invented - a
> >new hore derve:
> >The cheez wiz from the spray can squirted artistically on Tater Tots.
>
> Tater Tots?  I know not of these.  Please...explain...

Our National Shame... a Tater Tot is a particular brand (there are
others, differently named) of frozen potato product made from teeny
little flakes or chips (in the literal sense) of dehydrated potato,
ground or chopped up roughly to the size of grains of rice. These are
then reconstituted and bound together with various agents (logic would
suggest egg but I doubt it's anything so sensible) and extruded through
a nozzle some 1.5 cm in diameter, then cut off every 2.5 cm or so. They
probably are dropped directly into hot oil and partially fried, then
frozen. The idea is to then be able to reheat them in the oven, say, on
a cookie sheet. For those wishing to steep themselves in decadence and
moral lassitude, they can even be refried. Onion, similarly abused, is
sometimes mixed into the overall goo.

That said, it would also be fair to state that most children seem to
like them, they are apparently not actively toxic in the short term, and
cleanup after preparing them is easier than for actual fried potatoes of
whatever sort.

> ps. The worst thing I've seen at the aussie equivalent was thickly spread
> vegemite on celery sticks...shudder...

Okay, so is the concept of the "gin and marmite" a real one, or just
something made up by Alexei Sayle?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy