[Sca-cooks] True sandwich

James R. May robmay at home.com
Wed Jun 13 17:05:46 PDT 2001

At 05:03 PM 6/13/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Here's one from today's Washington Post, Food section:
>Alison Swope's Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich with Goat Cheese and
>herbed tomatoes.
>
>Let me know if anyone want's the recipe!
>
>Jehan Yves
>
>_Some people ask the silliest questions. Of course we want it. Margarite

Here it is;
         6 large portobello mushrooms
         1/2 cup olive oil
         2 cloves garlic, minced
         1 Tsp fresh oregano, minced
         2 Tsp honey
         3 Tsp dry sherry
         1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
         1/2 teasp. salt, plus additional to taste
         1/4 teasp. freshly ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
         2 large tomatoes, diced
         2 Tsp coarsely chopped basil
         4 ounces fresh spinach, washed and dried
         6 kaiser rolls, split and toasted if desired
         4 ounces soft goat cheese

         Remove the mushroom stems from the caps. Trim and discard the
tough ends. Brush or wash the caps and stems; set aside.
         In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of the oil, the garlic.
oregano, honey, sherry, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the reserved caps and
stems and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
         In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes and basil and toss to coat
with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste;
set aside.
         Prepare the grill or preheat oven to 450 degrees.
         Grill or roast the mushroom caps and stems, turning once, until
softened, about 6 minutes if grilling and 10 to 12 minutes if roasting.
Remove from the heat; set aside to cool slightly. Slice the mushroom stems
into thin strips.
         To assemble, place several spinach leaves on the bottom half of
each roll. Smear the top half of the roll with goat cheese. Top the spinach
with a mushroom cap, some of the sliced stems and some of the herbed
tomatoes. Serve immediately.

Recipe by Allen Swope of The Mark, as published in the Washington Post 6-13-01

Jehan Yves