[Sca-cooks] online glossary: baste (vb.)

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jun 14 14:08:30 PDT 2001

<< What is a "broch"? >>

A spit.

Cindy, I have been QUOTING from copyrighted works for several years now
without problems. And so does everybody else in the République des
lettres. Quoting is legal. And I think there are good reasons not to
fall behind the insights and huge labors of dictionary making since
1859. Our own culinary F.J. Furnivall, Esq., was the second editor in
charge of preparing the New English Dictionary, the fore-runner of the
OED, when the first editor, Herbert Coleridge, caught a cold while
dictionary making and finally died at age 31 on the 25th of April 1861

Best, Thomas II