[Sca-cooks] Old?

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 17 19:58:07 PDT 2001

On 17 Jun 01,, BareToad at aol.com wrote:

> obligatory fooe content:  the topic for the next Wintermist Culinary Guild is
> period iced foods.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Resources that I could use
> for information??  Thanks!
>
> Mairin

Well, there is this one obscure recipe:

Nym gode mylke of cowe and take vp the creme and caste hit in a basyn
and melle it with sugir of cipres,  And nym gode swete strawbereyes and
stampe hem well in a morter and mell hem with the creme and the suger
and stir hitt wel, than take the basyn and couer hit well and sett hit in the
place wher it must go and putt in the salte and the icyes and turne hit well
until it be y-now.  Than serve it forthe in bowles, other in waffre which is bent
in the guise of a horne.  And this is the icyes creme of strawbereyes.

Baskin-Robbins MS. 31

On a more serious note, I don't think there's vey much out there.  I believe
the Persians served snow- or ice-cooled fruit juices.  There is one book that
might help: "Harvest of the Cold Months" by Elizabeth David and Jill
Norman.  It's a culinary history of ice.  Not having read the book, I don't
know how much of it pertains to SCA period.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net