[Sca-cooks] QED

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 18 14:44:17 PDT 2001

ruadh wrote:

> --
> since we refer to it often . .. laf at it too.
>
> OXFORD SCHOLAR -- NOT!
>     Homer Simpson's favourite expression - "doh!" - has made it into the Oxford English Dictionary.
>     People.com reports the phrase is one of 1,250 new or revised entries published Thursday on the OED Web site. It will be added to the next edition of the print dictionary, though its publication is years away.
>     The OED's online edition defines Homer's trademark expression -- which is usually accompanied by a slap to the forehead -- as "expressing frustration at the realisation that things have turned out badly or not as planned or that one has just said or done something foolish. Also implying that another person has said or done something foolish."
>
> I use this though http://www.yourdictionary.com/      Ru
>
> http://dictionary.oed.com/entrance.dtl   Oh well...

As I have previously discussed in the case of "pomys", the OED has once
again failed to recognize a prior usage. "Doh", as used by Homer
Simpson, was alive and well in the late 1920's/early 1930's, as used by
James Finlayson in numerous Laurel and Hardy short subjects made by Hal Roach.

Adamantius, Bembridge Scholar ;  )
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com