[Sca-cooks] Okra was:Tiramisu

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 18:33:53 PDT 2001

>This is going to sound very ignorant of me,  but please
>What is Okra?  I've never seen it.
>-Katerine

Here's a picture of an okra pod:
http://www.evergreenseeds.com/evergreenseeds/okra.html
and a little information

Here's a picture of a CUT pod so you can see the "wagon wheel" aspect:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/okra1.html

Her's a page with a bit of okra history:
http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch28.html

It is very popular in India, parts of Africa and the southern US. It
is also used in a number of Near Eastern cultures, as well.

If the pod is cut then cooked it creates a very slimy sauce. It
tastes fine, but some folks object to the slimy aspect. That's why i
posted my message about the "okra necklace" to avoid sliminess.

Anahita