medieval healthy food was Re: [Sca-cooks] Tiramisu

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 18 18:46:58 PDT 2001

The Mediterranean cuisines are full of low-fat, healthy dishes that taste
good and do not require tweaking. Lots of the recipes in the Catalan works
I'm studying (and so, also in the 15th c. Neapolitan and 16th c. Spanish
cuisines, too) use olive oil or lard for frying. I have found that almost
all of the recipes that call for lard do equally well with olive oil.

One of the green sauces I'm working with is based on herbs, spices, and
vinegar. Another is herbs, nuts, olive oil and vinegar. These sauces were
used on a variety of boiled and/or roasted meats. Yet another adds a single,
raw egg as a binder.

White garlic sauce, served with pork and fish, is based on lots of garlic,
seasoned broth, and bread. The bread I typically use is a basic, fat free,
peasant loaf. It stales quickly, but it is great straight out of the oven
and works well as a thickener.

The one mushroom dish in the collection is parboiled mushrooms lightly fried
in a little grease (I've done it with olive oil, too), served with a
vinegar-based fresh onion, herb and spice salsa.

Lots and lots of fish in this cuisine - boiled, baked in broth, or roasted.

Lots of goat and kid, too, which are relatively lean meats.

One of the things I've thought about adding in my book are the nutritional
values for the recipes. I've received both pro and con feedback on this, but
what do you all think? Would you want to see nutritional values on
redactions?

Thomas Longshanks