Subverting Romans was Re: [Sca-cooks] what is your project?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 20:26:32 PDT 2001

Here's one suitable for subversion, one of my favorites from Apicius [Vehling
translation].  I served this one for the court luncheon at the coronation of
King Guy I of Caid, about 11 years ago, nicknamed "Pigs 'n' Figs".

Book VII, Chapter IX
PERNAM

"The ham should be braised with a good number of figs and some three laurel
leaves;  the skin is then pulled off and cut into square pieces;  these are
macerated with honey.  Thereupon make dough crumbs with flour and oil.  Lay the
dough over or around the ham, stud the top with pieces of the skin so that they
will be baked with the dough and when done, retire from the oven and serve."

I would use good pork shoulder in bite-sized pieces and good small figs in a
proportion of 2:1 or 3:1 since the pork will cook down more than the figs
will.  Laurel Leaves are also known as Bay Leaves of course.  Braise in honey
to taste and a little water, the figs will soften first so take them out while
they still have some cohesion, then cook the rest until the pork is actually
done.  cover with broken-up pie dough in a sort of streusel crumb way, and bake
until browned.

The fast cheater way is to procure slices of Honey-Baked Ham, chop them up
including the honey ham-candy rinds, put it into a pie shell, etc. as before.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want to hear the Piñata story!

Selene
Altavia, Caid