medieval healthy food was Re: [Sca-cooks] Tiramisu

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jun 18 22:41:54 PDT 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie
I am asked what we ate last weekend, a campful of calorie conscious
authenticity nuts :). Please realise that our current dietary concerns are
totally modern (medieval people worked more than hard enough to burn off
any number of desserts :)), and we leaned more on the "perioide" than we
usually do.

also please realise that every person modifying the way they eat has their
own "prescription"....this fits well with what we're doing, but I totally
realise that the Atikins folks wont eat the fruit, theres too much meat for
the Dean Ornish types, etc.

the menu for this weekend consisted of:

brunch:
"pastellums"....skinless chicken breasts, layered with a small piece of
proscuitto, fresh sage leaves, stone ground mustard and wrapped in a thin
layer of whole wheat fillo dough. Each pastellum was 1/3 of a breast.
Elizabethan chicken and apple salad....sauteed chicken breast tossed with
cubed apples, fresh parsley, lemon juice, a smidgeon of olive oil (about 2T
for 4 lbs of chicken), salt and pepper
various pickles (pickled asparagus, pickled carrots, pickled eggs)
fruit juice sweetened applesauce (Trader Joes has wonderfully chunky style
applesauce)
fresh fruit (apples, pears, grapes)
almonds

dinner:
compost salad (greens with fruit, nuts and a balsamic vinegar dressing,
very light on the oil)
pork loin roast with rapye sauce (figs, raisens and wine with spices)
mushroom tart
roast carrots and onions
strawberry pudding with fresh strawberries

I've also worked out paste en pot (a lamb stew) to be much lower fat, and
am looking for an excuse to try my "reduced" version of beef olives (can I
use carmelized onions instead of the fat/egg yolk in the filling?).

reminds me...does anyone know the nutritional information for almond milk?
(the homemade stuff, not the corn syrup containing stuff from the store).

anyway, hope this gets you thinking, if you're into this kind of eating
right now. if not, enjoy the "real" version! :)

--AM