Attn: Anne Marie - Re: [Sca-cooks] Cream Puffs

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jun 19 07:21:03 PDT 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie

Clever Adamantius, putting my name in the tagline :) (I wouldnt normally
have opened this thread)

to my memory, la Varenne doesnt talk about a filled pastry object like a
cream puff, but there is pastry that contains butter. I dont think any talk
about beating in all those eggs, though....

You are more the modern cook than I, what makes a pate a choux? is it the
ingredients? the technique?

I'll run through the book tonight and see what I can find, though.

Off the top of my head, I'm going to say that the concept of a flakey
pastry object filled with cream filling is modern. We have custard tart
objects though, in everything from Roman on later.....

I'll let you know if I can find anything close!
--AM