[Sca-cooks] what is your project?

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 19 14:14:14 PDT 2001

My current summer venture is a tour de sausage.  I've gathered recipes
from several sources across cultures and times, and will try my hand at making them.  I will have two others working with me to grind our own meat, grind fresh spices and stuff into natural casings.  We will smoke when indicated using cold smoking techiniques, lump charcoal and woods that could have been local to the given regions of the recipes.  We figure apple will be a good universal smoking wood, but mesquite is right out.

Our team will then compare and contrast the the spicing, meat cuts, and preparation descriptions of the various times and places.  It is my contention to describe the sausage as a front line product produced as a matter of preference rather than the frugal use of leavings.

Oh, and organizing the medieval recipes and cooks for the reception at my upcoming October wedding.  Mmmmmmm . . . . warm zabaglione and chilled fruit.

pcem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco