[Sca-cooks] what is your project?

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Tue Jun 19 14:19:58 PDT 2001

My project?  hmmm, which one.  I have four on the burner right now.  Just finished one.

Working on a 14th century cookery book - I would like to have 3 complete menus with recipes for each country, and a little history/background on each.  I have three menus from different countries posted on my website currently.  I have learned a lot since putting those together and so will be updating them before putting them in my book.  www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/4756/

Along with that I am currently rewriting my sausage paper.  I have a bunch of new sources that I want to include, and updates that I want to do also. Old version located at web address given above.

I am working on putting together a compendieum of references from the bibliographies located in my cooking books.  I hope to get this online soon.  It is currently approx 40 pages long - small type.

Ingredient Research database: I am done designing the database, and am almost done writing the program code to make it usable.  Will serve a dual purpose - can track ingredient usage by number of recipes/by source/country/century.   Can also be used to build a feast menu and shopping list.

Just finished the Calontir Cookery Guild's turn at the Lilies Inn.  Haven't figured out how much we made yet.  Served vegetable soup (carrots, celery, onions, lots of herbs), meatballs, apples, and shortbread for lunch.    For dinner - we served grilled chicken on a bun, peas with almonds, currants, and honey, and gingered cheesecake.  Make sekjanbin (with choc mint) and iced tea.  Am almost done being sore.  Severe rainstorm on Thursday afternoon cut into our lunch crowd when it was noticed how fast it was approaching.  Never really recovered for the supper crowd - which was about a third to half of the lunch crowd.   Did learn that I need to precook then freeze the chicken instead of hauling and keeping frozen the chicken until we cooked it.  Chicken took a looong time to cook because it was still frozen at dinner time.  Of course, the cool weather and occasional cold rainshower helped...

Kateryn de Develyn