[Sca-cooks] RE:wine yeast and apples

Cheriti Watts cassea at teleport.com
Tue Jun 19 21:21:48 PDT 2001

Usually the special "wine" yeast they sell in the brewing store.
Which is different from "champagne" yeast. Apparently champagne yeast is
slower, or at least that's what I was told last weekend.
We were guinea pigs for someone's first batch of hard apple cider. She'd
labeled it 'wicked cider', which indeed it was.  She'd made it with Granny
Smith apples and champagne yeast.  When we opened the bottle it smelled like
bread dough: very very yeasty.  And the taste, well, as one of my friend's
put it, it was 'very young'.  I wasn't around long enough to find out how
long she'd had it set for.

So, I have this theory that some of you bakers and brewers may be able to
confirm or refute:
In using the granny smith apples, which are not as sweet as some other
apples, is there a reduced enough sugar level to reduce the sugar that the
yeast needs to low enough that it would slow down the brewing process????

-Cynwise
cassea at teleport.com