[Sca-cooks] RE: -cran wine/vinegar...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 19 22:59:39 PDT 2001

Misha asked:
> Anyone know what kind of yeast you put in wine to ferment it. And if you
> ferment garum or liquamen, does it have a alcoholic tendency or do you put in
> a certain kind of yeast for that?

wine yeast? :-)

You might want to check through these files in the FOOD-BREADS section
of the Florilegium:
yeasts-msg        (72K)  7/ 6/00    Medieval use of yeast. Using it in
the CMA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/yeasts-msg.html
BNYeast-art       (14K)  4/24/97    "A Brief Note on Yeast" by Katerine Rountre.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/BNYeast-art.html

I don't believe garum or liquamen is created the same way. You might
want to look through this file in the FPPD-CONDIMENTS section:
garum-msg         (50K)  5/ 9/01    Roman fish sauces made from
fermented fish.
                                       Also includes comments on liquamen.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/garum-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net