[Sca-cooks] Re: OT falling off...

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jun 20 11:40:56 PDT 2001

Alban asked:
> >There's a fellow who regularly fights in the field battles at Pennsic who is
> >disabled.  I suspect he normally uses a wheelchair, but has adapted some sort
> >of vehicle which he is able to wheel around on the battlefield to his
> >purposes.  He's quite something to watch!  I watch and stand in awe of his
> >courage.
>
> Is this person the one-legged knight from Ansteorra?

No, it's not. The person of whom you speak is Sir Kief and I don't
think he's ever used a wheelchair and certainly not on the field.

We recently discussed wheelchairs in kitchens and on the battlefield
on this list. I've added some of those comments to this file in
the HANDICAPS section of the Florilegium:
handicaps-msg     (78K)  5/ 9/01    Handicaps in the SCA and period,
hiding
                                      wheelchairs, SCA sign language.

Recently I had a message from a disabled person requesting that I
change the section name and file name to something like disabled-msg
because they (and they said other handicaped folks) were insulted by
the use of "handicapped". I've not done anything about this, yet.
While many would consider me visually handicapped (and I guess I
would class myself this way), I don't consider myself "disabled".
So any thoughts on this, especially from those who would consider
themselves disabled/handicapped would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net