[Sca-cooks] 13th century bread

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 20:22:15 PDT 2001

Drake wrote:
>Kylie,
>
>If you come across any Rock Rose essence in your travels could you
>let me know?
>I want to do the Cow's Meat recipe for Anthimus.  An ingredient asked for is
>"costi" which has been translated by some as Costmary, but my gut feeling is
>that the ingredient is Costus, Rock Rose essence.

That's labdanum, which came up in a translation for Sieggy a few weeks ago...

>Also,  the A Soup for the Qan has an appendix (written by Charles Perry) on
>Islamic Bread and Grain products which might help.  I could bring
>the book down
>the next time I'm in Stormhold.

Aargh. Too bad the arfing book is SOOOO expensive. I'd buy it for
around $50 - i might even choke up $100, but $225!!! Sorry, i just
can't do it.

I want info in period Islamic breads! other than what's in "Medieval
Arabic Cookery", which i do have. Guess i'll have to ILL it...

Anahita