[Sca-cooks] non-toxic dyes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 20 22:53:58 PDT 2001

Anahita said:
> If you're going to be dyeing, then you need a mordant.

<snip of a good overview of several period mordants>

I don't have these divided out between toxic and non-toxic, but these
files in the TEXTILE ARTS section of the Florilegium might be of use:
mordants-msg      (17K)  7/30/98    Info. on mordants. Period and modern.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/mordants-msg.html
dyeing-msg       (162K)  2/28/00    Dyeing techniques and discussion.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/dyeing-msg.html
dye-list-art       (9K)  2/28/00    A list of period plant dyes by Moriel.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/dye-list-art.html

For non-period, non-toxic dyes I've also heard of folks using unsweetened
Kool-Aid.

At least the last is somewhat food related. :-) Note, I didn't say it was
food, though.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net