[Sca-cooks] Italian fish in oil spreads

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 24 15:26:35 PDT 2001

Adamantius replied to me with:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > > Possibly, though Italian spreads traditionally
> > > included fish in oil rather than fresh when served
> > > with bread (I have evidence for this,
> > > unfortunately, only for the 2nd and 18th century
> > > CE, not for the sixteenth, but personal experience
> > > strongly suggests it's better that way).
> <snip>
> > Does anyone have some period recipes for these Italian, fish in oil,
> > spreads? Are these just mushed up fish in oil spread on bread? This
> > sounds like it could be a wonderful alternative to the honey-butter
> > and bread stuff.
>
> Note that Giano said "included" fish in oil, not "were made from", etc.
> I suspect what we're talking about is something like tapenade, which
> does usually include both tuna either in brine or in oil, and anchovies
> either salted and/or in oil, in addition to garlic (lots), pitted black
> olives (essential), capers, fresh herbs, and perhaps a squeeze of orange juice.

I'm not sure that this "tapenade" is or isn't what I have in mind,
although it seems chunkier and maybe not the spread I was thinking of
and with a few more ingredients tossed in.

So what is and isn't a "tapenade"? Do we have any period recipes or
other evidence for these in period?

Is "tapenade" what is put on the muffletta (sp?) sandwich, I think
previously mentioned as being from New Orleans? I don't remember
being particularly impressed by the muffletta sandwiches I've had.

> Now all we have to do is document such a product as a spread ;  )

Okay, folks, I'm listening. :-)

> Adamantius, who has seen tapenade used in many ways, but only rarely as
> a spread

Okay, what other ways?

How was most bread eaten in period? The sandwich is apparently out.
Some pieces were used as sops. I think we've said bread slices were
dipped in oil or spread with buttor which was very region specific.
We know they made Rastons (hollowed out bread, stuffed with butter
and the bread crumbs). Compared to the Middle Ages, we seem to eat
less bread. We know it was a big part of their diet. So how did they
eat it? I find it hard to believe they ate most of it fresh without
a topping or spread. Was it mostly dipped in the food juices and
sauces?

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net