[Sca-cooks] oop::: Zankou chicken

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun Jun 24 18:56:20 PDT 2001

Philippa asked:

>Got a question:  A friend of mine recently ate a dish called
>_Zankou_ chicken at an eatery in LA.  She said it was served with a creamy
>garlic paste that was absolutly wonderful.  She didn't know what was in the
>paste but said it seemed like it was garlic whirled in a food processor.
>Has anyone heard of this dish or knows of a creamy garlic (not salad
>dressing) sauce.  She is trying to figure out the recipe.

1) I think Zankou Chicken is the name of an Armenian restaurant (or
restaurant chain) so the dish may be unique to them, although I could be
wrong there.
2) My son informs me that rock musician Beck sings about this restaurant on
one of his records ("i wanna do you like that Zankou Chicken").
3) My Armenian cookbook seems to have gone AWOL.
4) I do have recipes for some Lebanese garlic pastes/sauces that are mostly
garlic, olive oil, mashed potatoes and lemon juice. I could post a recipe if
you think that might be it.

Nanna