[Sca-cooks] American Iron Chef

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 14:55:26 PDT 2001

In a message dated 6/25/01 5:34:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
countgunthar at hotmail.com writes:

> C'mon now, do you really think Kage is a serious character?
>  Geez, look at his outfits! He's a comic overactor fulfiling
>  a classical role. I can think of no better actor to bring
>  the combination of haughty/comic ability than Shatner.

He is portrayed as a serious character. And the people wanted him to make him
look rich so they dressed him more flamboyant than Liberace. Though Shatner
is funny, I bet you he knows diddily about food. At least Kaga has a little
knowledge about it.

Second, I think it would be nice to have experts in the
cuisines being of an American culture. Mainly because we would
probably bring in people who were actually of the culture.
Although I think it is definately eye-opening to see "Masters
of Italian cuisine" who are Japanese I think it would be even
better to see "Masters of Italian cuisine" who are Italian.
American television would be far more likely to do this than
Japanese.

All "masters of Italian cuisine" wern't Japanese in the first place. They did
have people around the world who were EXTREMELY skilled in their cultural
cooking abilities. Second, they're probably the masters of such and such
cuisine in Japan, not necessarily the world. Third, Americans are rich so we
can afford to bring people in from all over the world. I'm not saying Japan
is poor, but just economically disabled for the time being.

Third, the show is supposed to be a bit over the top. I remember
the earliest reviews of Iron Chef saying basically the same
thing, "A show that brings the drama and deliberate kitchyness
of Japanese Gameshows together with serious cooking."

Then it actually became a serious cooking show. It gave a new twist from the
boring and monotonous regular cooking shows (i.e. Martha Stewart).

Hate to say this, but American always copies Japan. Digimon, DBZ, Pokemon,
and many others America brings in and tries to alter it or copy it some how.
I personally love Japanese anime to American anime. Looks a whole lot better.

Misha