[Sca-cooks] blue food

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jun 26 05:43:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, margali wrote:

> Not again ;-)
> Quick - where's the recipe for cuskynoles?
> margali
>
> [check in the floregelium, we discussed it last year ;-) ]

I *did* check in the florilegium. Which is why I posted. There isn't much
of anything there except random bits of discussion about the various
species of berries. Else I wouldn't have opened that can of worms.

I don't necessarily need the fruit sauce. I really just need a blue sauce,
in which case, I need a period blue food coloring, and I don't remember if
alkanet is food-safe or not. I could do it with red cabbage, but I don't
know of any sauce that has cabbage in it to start with.

I am of course, breaking one of my own rules, which is "Don't eat blue
food, don't drink blue drinks." ;-)

I *think* it's Barbara Santich's book that lists the blue sauce, and says
it's a "lovely midnight-blue jelly", but that recipe calls for American
blackberries. Which, if nothing else, are not in season and not easily
available frozen around here. Even if I were going to use her redaction,
which I'm not.

Margaret, who has the other colors pretty much figured out