Sanguine - was, Re: [Sca-cooks] blue food

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Tue Jun 26 06:47:59 PDT 2001

found this:
The similarity in form between sanguine, "cheerfully optimistic," and
sanguinary, "bloodthirsty," may prompt one to wonder how they have come to
have such different meanings. The explanation lies in medieval physiology
with its notion of the four humours or bodily fluids (blood, bile, phlegm,
and black bile). The relative proportions of these fluids was thought to
determine a person's temperament. If blood was the predominant humour, one
had a ruddy face and a disposition marked by courage, hope, and a readiness
to fall in love. Such a temperament was called sanguine, the Middle English
ancestor of our word sanguine. The source of the Middle English word was Old
French sanguin, itself from Latin sanguineus. Both the Old French and Latin
words meant "bloody," "blood-coloured," Old French sanguin having the sense
"sanguine in temperament" as well. Latin sanguineus was in turn derived from
sanguis, "blood," just as English sanguinary is. The English adjective
sanguine, first recorded in Middle English before 1350, continues to refer
to the cheerfulness and optimism that accompanied a sanguine temperament but
no longer has any direct reference to medieval physiology.

basically it's Red colours, not unlike my mundane name,  Ruadh  [ ruddy,
ruby]

Ru