[Sca-cooks] tapenade, moreta, pesto

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 26 09:01:46 PDT 2001

> > Moreta is a combination of cheese and garlic and herbs [?]
> > pounded together into a paste which is then used as a dip.
>
> I think, rather, that the combination of cheese, garlic and herbs is a
> moretum, of which there are more than one type.
>
> > Unfortunately I lost my apicius list files when the last computer
> > fried, but you could probably do a websearch and find the recipe.
> > margali

http://virgil.org/appendix/moretum.htm

Here's a translation of Virgil's poem MORETUM wherein Symilus the rustic
husbandman prepares this dish of garlic, parsley, rue, coriander, salt and
cheese, pounded in a mortar and sprinkled with olive oil and vinegar,
which he forms into a ball, packs it up with bread for his lunch and goes
back to work.

Re Moreta, Weyrwoman of Pern:  a were-woman, a man who turns into a woman
when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright?  Kinky.

Selene