[Sca-cooks] Re: Early Pastries

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 26 21:03:51 PDT 2001

Alys Katharine commented:
>  The Manuscrito Anonimo from the 13th c. lists
> a castle (and its furnishings) made of poured sugar.

In the *13th* century? Just how big was this castle. And who was
it made for (ie: who paid for it) and where was it made?

My understanding is that sugar was pretty expensive in that time
period. That must have been one real expensive trinket.

Sort of like those Nieman Marcus "one-of-a-kind" things that show up
in each year's Christmas catalog.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net