[Sca-cooks] beet juice dye (last)

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jun 27 06:19:12 PDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Jennifer Thompson wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas on what to do with two cans worth of beets? San juice?
> The baby and I ate them all last time, so we are beeted out and the hubby
> won't touch them.

Pickle them, gently and tenderly. Pickled beets. Mmmmmmm.

I have, somewhere at home, my mother's recipe for pickled beets, which she
got from my step-great-grandmother. It involves cider vinegar. It does not
necessarily involve beet juice, though. IIRC, it's water, vinegar, and
some sugar. I can look it up when I get home--for some reason it turned up
yesterday amongst the scribal stuff, and I have no idea why.

Margaret FitzWilliam