[Sca-cooks] OT-freezing hummos, etc.

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 14:00:16 PDT 2001

>So, can i freeze hummos? baba ganouj (a spread/dip of eggplant,
tahini, and other stuff)?

Yes you can freeze hummos, baba ganouj, tahini and "other stuff" Make sure
they are kept in very air tight containers, though. Oxidation can ruin the
mixtures. Also make sure that they don't stay in the freezer for more than a
month. And don't separate the mixes into smaller batches. When you go to use
them and thaw them out, the smaller batches will be more likely to be freezer
burnt.

>Then there's stuff that i can eat, just not as much as i have: fresh
cilantro and fresh mint - can i freeze them? I heard once about doing
greens and water in a blender then freezing them into ice cubes... Is
there some other way?

Don't recommend freezing fresh herbs. I've tried it and they come out like
blech. Think overcooked wet slimmy spinach. Fresh mint and cilantro are just
too delicate to survive and be useable. Never heard of using the water trick.
I would think it would dilute the flavor of the herbs too much to be
noticable in your next dish.