[Sca-cooks] blue food

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 29 19:59:54 PDT 2001

Olwen asked:
> Ok I'll bite.  Where do you get white gelatine and black carrots?
>
> Olwen

White (well, OK, sort of cloudy, whitish, murky) gelatine in the period
recipes I've seen came from hooves and trotters and other cartilage and
bones cooked until mostly dissolved in water or broth. When cooled, it turns
vaguely white. Blend in some almond milk before the mixture gels, and it
gets much whiter.

Scarlet and purple carrots seem to be more common in Europe than in the U.S.
I saw all of these varieties while in Barcelona. Some of the purple ones
were almost black. In the U.S., at least, you probably have to grow your
own. Seeds for various kinds, including white, yellow, scarlet, and purple,
are available from various heirloom seed companies.

Thomas Longshanks