[Sca-cooks] Seeking Opinions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jun 30 16:29:36 PDT 2001

Aethelwulf asked:
> For $50+ you can get any of a number of excellent books on medieval and
> renaissance cuisine, and I'm sure folks here have lots of suggestions.
>
> Thomas Longshanks
>
>     Your Suggestons would be ??
>    Please keep in mind I am new to the medieval food arena
>     and am somewhat of a babe in the woods.also if I dont need to
>    spend $50+ I would prefer not too unless its a tome of great
>    use and educational benefit.

Which cookbooks are the best for you will depend upon which specific
cultures, if any, you are interested in, whether it is important to
have good redactions or just the original recipes etc.

For a good start on which books would be good ones to get, check this
file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium:
cookbooks-bib     (40K)  6/ 9/01    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-bib.html

This annotated bibliography, just recently updated and enlarged, is a
good place to start.

Other similar files in this same section include:
books-food-msg    (91K)  3/26/01    Books about food. Not cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/books-food-msg.html
cb-novices-msg    (13K) 10/14/98    Cookbooks for those new to medieval cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-novices-msg.html
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (37K)  4/20/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Apicius-msg.html
cb-rv-Platina-msg (21K)  2/21/01    Reviews of cookbooks having Platina recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Platina-msg.html
cb-rv-Taillvt-msg  (9K)  7/14/99    Reviews of books having Taillevent's recipes
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Taillvt-msg.html
cookbooks-SCA-msg (27K)  9/29/00    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-SCA-msg.html

This series of files also contains many comments from this list, but I'm
afraid it is rather disorganised currently:
cookbooks-msg     (98K)  5/11/99    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
                                       Messages posted before September 1995.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-msg.html

These also might be of interest.
Where to buy all these wonderful books:
merch-cookbks-msg (10K)  8/31/99    Merchants selling period cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/merch-cookbks-msg.html

Some original cookbooks and translations which are now online:
online-ckbks-msg  (23K)  4/11/01    Online versions of period cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/online-ckbks-msg.html

There are also some bibliographies for cookbooks from certain cultures.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net