SC - Find Used/OP Books, was OT: Eating the Script Girl

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 16:22:11 PST 2001

.

> If you can find those docs or know where I could head for that
information, it would be vastly helpful.  High on my list of questions is
What days would be exempt from Lenten fasting rules, or would have relaxed
rules/exceptions. If your Saint's feast day falls within Lent, what happens?
(I was one of the many heathens attending a small Catholic college and was
very intrigued when the monks would have some elaborate meal because it was
Saint so and so's feast day.)

> -Cassea

    FOUND IT!!   Of course, if you still have access to that Small catholic
college's library,  there may be more texts to read thru.   Both of these
books are (were?) at the University of California, Davis. Excerpts from my
documentation for a Lenten Meal:

"St Chryosostom tells us there are definitive rules and laws which we are to
learn of this Lenten fast.  First, and foremost that "our fasting be as the
Church at first defined it,  a great instrument of our great work of
repentance.  Secondly, that our fast be truly fasting, not a commutation
only of our usual diet."   (Gunning, p 130)

And so, from this admonition, and the Roman Penitential, we learn how to
fast without losing strength that we may keep at our daily work:  "Fast
three days in each week, namely, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, on bread and
water.  And on three days, namely Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday,  . . .
(we) may eat beans,  and grains, and  vegetables, and apples, and drink
beer."  (McNeill and Gamer,   p 343)"

Gunning, Petler, D.D.: The Paschal or Lent Fast  Oxford   (MDCCCXLV)
McNeill, John and Gamer, Helena:  Medieval Handbooks of Penance  New York
1965

Caointiarn