SC - feasting and religion

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Fri Mar 2 06:13:52 PST 2001

Sorry, there was more...

Ted Eisenstein wrote, to Jadwiga:
> >How often, however, would Jews and Christians eat together in period?
> >Documentary evidence, anyone? I suspect it did happen, but very seldom...

> I have no idea - but we were talking about SCA feasts, and those who follow
> their personae more closely than most of us, sort of. Would a person with a
> Jewish persona want to eat a Lenten-type feast, because it follows the pattern
> of a purely Christian prototype?

That would depend on a lot of factors. My first impulse, though, would
be to point out that there's a difference between not openly jumping for
joy at the prospect of eating fish, say, without dairy products, and
actively grousing about it or violating it under the noses of those
people restrained by such rules. Or, to put it another way, there's a
difference between not _wanting_ to do something, and _not_ wanting to
do it.

I think perhaps you may be placing too much emotional stress on the
reasoning that says people wouldn't want to follow a custom because it
is Christian, rather than because it is somehow unreasonable.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com