SC - Lenten fasting...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 08:20:05 PST 2001

Hello the List!

The two refs I promised to find were in the same book:  Elizabeth Burton's
'The Elizabethans at Home' (Arrow, London, 1973).

Anecdote told by William Harrison in 'A Description of England', which has
no date in this book but I think was written in 1577 (p. 147)
'It appears that an English nobleman sent a great hog's-head of brawn to a
Roman Catholic gentleman in France, "who supposing it to be fish reserved it
until Lent and ate it most frugally every day".  This unfortunate Catholic
gentleman liked the brawn so well that he sent to England for more "as fish
for next Lent".  On this Harrison comments with ill-concealed delight and
scepticism, "had he known it was flesh he would not have touched it for a
thousand crowns - I dare say - without the Pope's consent".*

'* Yet at the Coronation Banquet of Katherine of Valois, wife of Henry V,
Alderman Fabyan records "their feast was all of fish, for, being February
24th Lent was entered upon and nothing of meat was there saving brawn with
mustard".  Brawn may have been a permitted Lenten dish in pre-Reformation
England, or a special dispensation may have been granted.'

[Although according to Barbara Santich soldiers, and pregnant/nursing women
were permitted not to fast.  Perhaps the brawn was for them.  CJvT]

Anecdote no 2 from Wm Harrison (p. 148):
'Even more deplorable is the story of and Englishman living in Spain who
served brawn to some Jewish guests.  They, too, under the illusion that is
was some uncommon kind of fish, enjoyed the dish heartily.  When they had
finished, their host - whose high spirits seem to have been matched only by
his crass insensitivity - produced the boar's head and, no doubt nearly
speechless with laughter, explained that this was the animal from which the
strange fish had been made.  The wretched Jews stayed not a moment longer.
All rushed off to their homes where, stomach pumps not having been invented,
they resorted to other violent measures to escape contamination.'

Although there is no excuse for forcing someone to eat something which you
know is forbidden to him/her, there is actually a precedent for someone
choosing not to eat a permitted food so as not to offend those around him:

'In one of the letters written before reaching Japan [1549], [St. Francis]
Xavier says that they had been told that the Japanese would be offended if
they saw the missionaries eating animal food, and so to avoid offence they
determined to refrain from it.'  A History of Christianity in Japan,
originally printed 1909, reprinted 1994 Curzon Press, Richmond, England.
Elsewhere in the book it is explained that the Buddhist and Shinto priests
in Japan demonstrated their holiness by abstaining from animal products, and
the Christians thought it would suit their purpose to copy this, even though
the church did not require it.

As to appropriate behaviour when confronted with an array of food which your
persona can't eat, most of the mundane people here who encounter the same
problem tend to sit in a corner toying with a glass of water and looking
miserable and apologetic.  Admittedly we pay for feasts, but that is to
cover the food costs the SCA can't bear.  When we get to the feast, as a
rule, we behave as though we are the guests of whoever is giving the feast,
and we can't throw a tantrum about not being provided for if we are a guest.

There is also another side to religion and feasting, which I hadn't
anticipated:  a friend of ours from Gaza (the one we visited the weekend
before the Intifada struck) came to dinner and was uncomfortable with
looking at our hands.  The reason?  Apparently Muslims don't eat with their
left hand, because in the Koran it says this is the way you can tell demons
- - they do use their left hand for food.

Cairistiona