SC - OT-OOP Lightbulbs the Knowne World Over

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 4 14:57:29 PST 2001

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Hmm...
>
> I've been watching the conversation and wanted to pop in with my two
> pence (which may or may not me worth two pence!)...
>
> Has anyone noticed that Lent also serves a practical purpose in an
> agrarian society? The end of winter/early spring- stores are getting
> low, spring vegetables are just beginning to come out. The temptation to
> slaughter liverstock, etc to get through must be fairly high. But that
> action would endanger the next year, and could be fatal.

Where did I read this idea, or a variant thereof, around this time last
year? Was it on this list? Essentially the idea that, once again, the
Evil Catholic Church tried to assert their patronizing control over
every single aspect of the lives of innocent but inherently intelligent
peasants, by forcing them to engage in the type of pre-harvest
conservation that they would have observed in any case, had they not
been so patronized...

I don't know what, if any, kinds of abuses of the agrisystem would have
ensued had there not been a Lent, but it occurs to me that starvation is
an excellent teacher, possibly even better than the ECC...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com