SC - OT: Is a propane stove safe indoors?

rcmann4@earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 4 15:29:05 PST 2001

Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> >As a non-Catholic, this comment is based solely on a vague memory from a
> >history book once read--
> >
> >     The Lenten laws were held to discriminate against northern countries.
> >Butter (produced and used predominantly in the north) is limited/forbidden
> >in
> >Lent, unless you pay for an indulgence to use it.  Olive oil (produced and
> >used in the south) is permitted.  Hence, people in the south were less
> >inconvenienced than people in the north,
>
> I've read this also.  I think you must also consider that the south is more
> likely to have more food in stock due to a later end to their past fall
> season, as well as fresh food sooner due to an earlier spring.

These are interesting points, and seem to make a lot of sense. On the
other hand, it should be noted that northern Europeans did have some
access to alternate fat sources, both inexpensive local ones and more
expensive imported ones. Local (or semi-local) ones include rapeseed
oil, almond oil, as well, perhaps, as hazelnut and walnuts oils, and
then there are foods such as herring and salmon that are high enough to
provide a minimal sufficiency of dietary fat, if not oil for frying. For
people that absolutely couldn't afford things like olive oil to soften
the rigors of Lent, it should be remembered that Lent is less than two
months long. Maybe not the most fun spending it without things like
butter, but far from impossible, either, especially with the weather
getting slightly warmer.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy