SC - Is propane safe indoors

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Mar 4 19:03:11 PST 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> "Laura C. Minnick" wrote:
> >
> > Hmm...
> >
> > I've been watching the conversation and wanted to pop in with my two
> > pence (which may or may not me worth two pence!)...
> >
> > Has anyone noticed that Lent also serves a practical purpose in an
> > agrarian society? The end of winter/early spring- stores are getting
> > low, spring vegetables are just beginning to come out. The temptation to
> > slaughter liverstock, etc to get through must be fairly high. But that
> > action would endanger the next year, and could be fatal.
>
> Where did I read this idea, or a variant thereof, around this time last
> year? Was it on this list? Essentially the idea that, once again, the
> Evil Catholic Church tried to assert their patronizing control over
> every single aspect of the lives of innocent but inherently intelligent
> peasants, by forcing them to engage in the type of pre-harvest
> conservation that they would have observed in any case, had they not
> been so patronized...
>
> I don't know what, if any, kinds of abuses of the agrisystem would have
> ensued had there not been a Lent, but it occurs to me that starvation is
> an excellent teacher, possibly even better than the ECC...

Contrarywise, Master A- The Church also had a habit of appropriating
holidays and such, and I think this may have been a similar case-
contrast the "Gee- it's spring and there's not much food left and we
have to conserve what we have so we get through without eating what we
need for the next season- and U hate skipping meals...' with 'Well, it's
Lent and we fast and eat no meat while we contemplate teh Passion- but
gee I hate stockfish'. Taking something you have to do anyway and making
it a virtue goes a long way in the PR department. Heck, I'd rather fast
for a spiritual reason than only because there's no meat left in the
pantry. Why not get points for practicality?

'Lainie