SC - Onion Salad Recipe

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:09:08 PST 2001

rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote:

> So far, I've had a few successes and a few failures, and I think I've
> read nearly every cheesemaking website on the Net.  There's one
> question I haven't been able to answer about period cheesemaking
> practices: I know they used cheese presses to shape and firm the
> cheese, but did they cook the curds?  Or is that a modern
> innovation?

>From what I've been able to determine, it's modern. Admittedly, what I'm
saying is, "I don't know that the cooking of curds was done in period,"
rather than, "I know that it was not done in period." What I do know is
that of the actual cheese recipes I've seen in Dowe, Markham, Plat, and
Digby (the last three all early post-period), along with various
curd-based dishes in the medieval corpus and various net-based cheese
process descriptions of things like gruyere (allegedly period) appear to
be uncooked. This might be coincidence, and I may simply have missed all
the cooked curd recipes, but I suspect not.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com