Inter-Library Loan ( wasRe: Fwd: RE: SC - Portuguese Cookbook)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 16:54:29 PST 2001

- --============_-1228114021==_ma============

>  > It is our recipe from the Miscellany, except that someone has
>>  changed "crush" into "boil" at the beginning.
>>  --
>>  David/Cariadoc
>
>Ah.  Then may I ask how you chose that particular thickness?
>Because my first reaction, when looking at the recipe, was to think
>of something like thin pastry dough.  I have no reason to think that
>mine is the more correct interpretation, but I'd like to know how you
>arrived at yours.

Elizabeth's opinion, and mine, is that we don't do them as thick as
the recipe says--perhaps 1/4 inch or a bit less. Either the figure in
the recipe is a typo or we did it that way originally, later
modified, and never got around to changing the recipe.

As for why we did the thickness we did, my guess is that we tried it
at that thickness and liked how it came out. The original says " fair
thin cakes," and I guess we assumed it would have been "foil" or some
similar term if it was really rolled out thin. Done that way they
puff up quite nicely.

>Or to broaden the question further, how do you decide on sizes,
>measurements, etc., when working with an original recipe that
>says something vague like "thin" "small" or "enough"?

There are a number of different ways. Sometimes we find a modern
recipe that is similar enough to give us a first guess. For example,
when I was working out Hulwa, the crucial question was to what
temperature you were boiling the sugar syrup (which is then stirred
into beaten egg whites to give a thick white cream called "natif,"
which is in turn combined with chopped nuts etc. and then rapidly
hardens). I don't have much experience with candy making, so I went
through a modern cookbook and discovered that the process for making
divinity was very similar. So I tried the temperature that the
divinity recipe called for and it worked.

On other occasions, it's trial and error. I've done gingerbrede with
a range of ratios of breadcrumbs to honey. What we have listed is
about the lowest amount of breadcrumbs that yields a reasonably solid
product after it cools.

You should not assume that the instructions in our recipes are the
only way that works, or the best. Most of the time, we stop when we
get one way that works reasonably well. That's probably true of many
other people's worked out recipe as well.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/
- --============_-1228114021==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: Redacting ( was Re: SC - losenges fryes/potage
Miscellany, except that someone has<br>
> changed "crush" into "boil" at the
beginning.<br>
> --<br>
> David/Cariadoc<br>
Ah.  Then may I ask how you chose that particular
thickness? <br>
Because my first reaction, when looking at the recipe, was to
think<br>
of something like thin pastry dough.  I have no reason to think
that<br>
mine is the more correct interpretation, but I'd like to know how
you</blockquote>
as the recipe says--perhaps 1/4 inch or a bit less. Either the figure
in the recipe is a typo or we did it that way originally, later
modified, and never got around to changing the recipe.</div>
tried it at that thickness and liked how it came out. The original
says "<font color="#000000"> fair thin cakes</font>," and I
guess we assumed it would have been "foil" or some similar
term if it was really rolled out thin. Done that way they puff up
quite nicely.</div>
do you decide on sizes,<br>
measurements, etc., when working with an original recipe
that</blockquote>
"thin" "small" or "enough"?</blockquote>
recipe that is similar enough to give us a first guess. For example,
when I was working out Hulwa, the crucial question was to what
temperature you were boiling the sugar syrup (which is then stirred
into beaten egg whites to give a thick white cream called
"natif," which is in turn combined with chopped nuts etc.
and then rapidly hardens). I don't have much experience with candy
making, so I went through a modern cookbook and discovered that the
process for making divinity was very similar. So I tried the
temperature that the divinity recipe called for and it worked.</div>
with a range of ratios of breadcrumbs to honey. What we have listed
is about the lowest amount of breadcrumbs that yields a reasonably
solid product after it cools.</div>
the only way that works, or the best. Most of the time, we stop when
we get one way that works reasonably well. That's probably true of
many other people's worked out recipe as well.</div>

David/Cariadoc<br>
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/</div>