SC - Languedoc/Cathar

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 7 17:16:51 PST 2001

I am passing along this cake recipe because it is historic, even though it is
OOP as I think we tend to collect all sorts of recipes.
Phillipa

War Cake
 Makes 12 servings

 1 pound raisins (see cook's notes)
 2 cups packed light brown sugar
 2 cups water
 4 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening
 2 teaspoons salt
 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
 2 teaspoons baking soda

Cook's notes: A 15-ounce package of raisins is sufficient. (From author
Joanne Lamb Hayes): "This recipe was handwritten in the back of a recipe
pamphlet dating from the first decade of the 1900s. It is similar to recipes
that appeared in the 1940s as well as to those from Civil War times. In each
case, boiled raisins were an important part of the recipe. This cake keeps
well, travels well and is an excellent alternative to holiday fruit cake."

Preliminaries:
Combine raisins, brown sugar, water, lard, salt, cinnamon and cloves in a
2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 5
 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature. Heat oven to 350
 degrees. Grease a 10-inch tube pan.
 Prepare batter, bake cake: Stir together flour and baking soda. Fold dry
 ingredients into cooled raisin mixture. Spoon into greased pan and bake 45
 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
 Presentation: Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert onto a wire rack to cool
 completely. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
 Approximate nutritional analysis per serving: calories, 406; fat, 5 grams;
 calories from fat, 11 percent; carbohydrates, 90 grams; protein, 4 grams;
 fiber, 3 grams; cholesterol, none milligrams; sodium, 620 milligrams.
 Points:8

 Source: Adapted recipe from "Grandma's Wartime Kitchen" (St. Martin's Press,
 2000).