SC - Grewe's books

rcmann4@earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 19:40:02 PST 2001

My family always tried to include a couple of nice meaty soup bones (the kind
with the marrow in them) in the chicken soup pot and we always used what they
call here in NYC "soup greens".  This is a prepackaged bundle of : onion,
leek, celery, carrot, turnip, parsnip, petriska (a parsley root?), and a good
solid handful of fresh dill, parsley, and maybe the parsnip top.  I
understand that you're supposed to remove the dill etc, but I always enjoyed
eating it too.

With this we used to serve our (non-Pesadik) matzoh balls, which include
(horrors!) baking powder, and are light as a feather as a result.

There is a nice recipe for quaking pudding in Madge Lorwin's "Dining with
William Shakespeare"

    From Robert May's "The Accomplish't Cook":  Slice the crumbs of a penny
manchet, and infuse it three or four hours in a pint of scalding hot cream,
covering it close, then break the bread with a spoon very small, and put to
it a pound of walnuts beaten small with rosewater in a steon mortar, and
season it with sugar, nutmeg, salt, the yolks of six eggs, a quarter of a
pound of dates slic't and cut small, a handful of currans boiled, some marrow
minced.  Beat them all together and bake it.  Put to it butter, rosewater,
and sugar, and serve it up to the table."

Here is Lorwin' redaction:
3 egg yolks
1 C light cream
2 Tbls sugar
2 Tbls rosewater
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 C soft bread crumbs
2 Tbsp beef marrow or butter, diced
2 Tbls currants, parboiled
6 dates, diced
 1/2 C walnuts, grated

3 Tbls butter
2 Tbls rosewater
2 Tbls brown sugar

Beat the egg yolks with the cream.  Add the sugar, rose water, salt, nutmeg,
& bread crumbs, and beat until the crumbs are softened. Stir in the beef
marrow or butter, the currants, dates, and the walnuts. Cover and set aside
to allow the flavors to blend for three hours.
Pour the mixture into a quart-sized oven-proof casserole and bake at 250* for
45 minutes.
While the pudding is baking, make the sauce by simmering the rose water,
sugar, and butter together, stirring until the butter melts, for five
minutes.  Keep the sauce warm.  Serve the pudding in the dish in which it was
baked and pour the sauce over it.

I've made this, and it's very pleasant (even though I don't particularly like
rosewater myself.)  After listening to the various comments on redaction on
the list, I can't understand myself why she decided to add the eggs and
flavorings before soaking the crumbs.....
Devra the Baker

Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com