SC - Moths

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 12 15:44:50 PST 2001

> I don't think the handwashing had anything to do with sloppy food
> offerings, though.  The priests and/or the clerks set up a table and
> bench outside the tithe barn and wrote down the accounts as people
> brought them to the barn.  Certain festivals in some places had symbolic
> sheaves of wheat or baskets of fruit, for instance, brought for a
> blessing.  Eggs were taken to be blessed at Easter, but I don't think
> there was generally food in church.

Thank you, Allyson! That makes things much clearer. (There is a Slavic
tradition, apparently, of bringing 'offerings' of a frumenty-like
substance, and/or eggs, to be blessed by the priest or put on a side altar
before they were put on the graves of dead relatives-- but I don't count
that as an offering, since the church doesn't get to keep it!)

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."