SC - Smilingyy@aol.com: Co detectors/ tent heaters.

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Mar 12 22:08:11 PST 2001

Of course it says 'liver'!  How did I miss that?  It's in my typed copy
and the translated one.

>> the original reading must have been something like "fach den swaicze"
'catch the blood' like in several of the parallel recipes in other German
manuscripts. <<

We have a saying about cooking rabbit:  First, catch your rabbit!  OK, I
was confused because I didn't see 2 versions in the original, but I still
can't read enough German to go through the notes the way I'd like to do.

Corrected version of original:
35a.  If you wish to prepare the forepart of a rabbit, then take the
lungs, the liver, the stomach and the tail of the rabbit, and cut them in
small morsels. Bake the tail with wine or with vinegar and simmer it with
this [the other pieces].  Add a little  broth to this and wine and
vinegar, so that it is sufficiently fluid, and add chopped bacon bits to
it.

He may have intended the tail to be baked--there is a lot of fat in the
tail of a chicken, and you'd want that rendered out, if the rabbit tail
is the same tissue composition.  That could be the reason for specifying
wine and vinegar twice--you are doing two processes before combining the
finished dish.  Sounds like a pretty good recipe.

As for 'brich', I was pretty sure that was what was meant, and that it
was a change of spelling in a verb form I didn't know,

What do you think of the translations?

Thomas, who forgot almost everything he wrote two years ago and who read
in his own text like a stranger ... ;-|>>

I often read something I previously wrote just like that.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com