SC - Re: SC mashing favas (food mill styles)

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 11:29:24 PST 2001

>There is surprising little documentation of *actual* cannibalism in
>the historic and anthropological record. I was recently reading an
>anthropology book that analyses reports of cannibalism - from
>centuries' past accounts laden with ethnocentric prejudice through
>modern anthropological reports.

Another point which I remember reading - although I can't tell you the
source - is that sometimes captured native peoples would give the
anthropologists (and others) the answer that it seemed they wanted.  So, Big
White Hunter says "which humans taste particularly good" and Noble Savage -
having given up on trying to convince BWH they neither he nor his tribe are
actually cannibals answers - "all people tasty; flesh of old woman most
good."

I wonder too if some tribes didn't foster the belief that they were
cannibals to frighten their neighbours?

Gwynydd