SC - non-member submission - Re: SC mashing favas (food mill styles)

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 07:23:20 PST 2001

>I'm confused.  If all you folks can't figure out how to make non-lumpy
beans
>with all these modern appliances, then don't you think that mashing them
>with a potato masher type thing that they probably did back when left the
>things lumpy anyway??

"For to make a potage fene boiles, tak wite benes & se+ hem in water, & bray
+e benys in a mortar al to noght; & lat +em se+e in almond mylk & do +erin
wyn & hony.  & se+ reysouns in wyn & do +erto & after dresse yt forth."

Actually, as you can see, the recipe says to use a mortar - I thought about
it, but it looked like far too much work, however it would probably have
resulted in smooth beans - although possibly with their skins intact as
there is no instruction to be rid of them.  On the other hand, it may simply
be taken for granted that a kitchen hand would spend some time skinning the
beans before they get mushed.

I am fairly convinced that the end product in period would have been a
smooth white, possibly sweetish (given my experience) bean mixture dotted
with raisins (and, my taste buds suggest, quite a few of them).

I don't know that I consider there to be a barrier to a smooth bean mixture;
I simply describing my trials and tribblations trying to get them that way,
and what I would do next time achieve that aim.

I did consider using a potato masher - but I had a huge quantity of beans (I
made the recipe x 12) and I find that my Mouli normally handles such things
well.  Also, it has the distinct advantage that doesn't get mashed (the
skins and such) don't go through.  (I use it, for example, to make apple
sauce.  I cook the apples skin and cores and all and then just put it
through the Mouli - it purees the apple and leaves everything else behind).
Normally, I consider my Mouli to be between a potato masher and a blender in
terms of mashing, but I usually prefer it to a blender for actual pureeing -
well, did, before the finest blade lost its edge! *sigh*

Gwynydd