SC - Re: SC mashing favas (food mill styles)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 07:33:05 PST 2001

***Administer's note: This is the last post of this address that
I will forward. Please subscribe this address or post from your
subscribed address. Thanks  - Gunthar*****

>Following this post I was confused that the original sender
>was concerned with  the beans being 'grainy' after mashing. I don't think
the
>poster  was saying they were lumpy so much as not smooth on the tongue.

There were a few bits which could, I felt, have been more finely ground, but
yes, I think that my main objection was to the grainy-ness on my tongue.
Thank you for the information that a degree of grainy-ness is to be expected
in a period dish of this sort.

However, I didn't, I am afraid, end up using fava beans (given that I was
sure the recipe called for something white and I knew that, if favas are
indeed broad beans and if these are what the recipe demands - there was a
little discussion on this point, with one person suggesting that there is a
non-fava white bean known in period - I was never going to be able to get
white ones here in Tasmania.  This was accurate).  I used lima beans.

Gwynydd